Treatment of chronic prostatitis is a difficult problem even for modern medicine, often, despite all the measures taken, the chronic process cannot be completely eliminated. It is believed that reducing the intensity of the signs is already an effective result. It is worth considering that the clinical picture of prostate tumors (cancer) has a similar picture with the latent course of chronic prostatitis. For differentiation, PSA is determined, the concentration of which is much higher in malignant neoplasms than in the classical inflammatory process.
Treatment of chronic prostatitis is a long and complex procedure that does not always lead to a complete cure.
Is there an effective treatment for the chronic form of the disease and can you get rid of it quickly? Patients almost always ask this question of urologists at the reception, and if the first part can be answered in the affirmative, then it will not be possible to get rid of the problem "quickly". Treatment of prostatitis lasts exactly as long as it has developed, that is, the rest of your life. Eliminating chronic prostatitis completely and making the prostate gland "new" is in principle impossible. The only thing that can be done is to stop all unpleasant symptoms and delay the onset of relapses, but only on the condition that the man himself strictly follows all the prescriptions of the doctor.
A classic example: a course of drugs, rectal massage and some other methods are prescribed, the advantage is the normalization of the lifestyle, the rejection of alcohol. As a rule, drugs are taken, but with the rejection of alcoholic beverages, proper nutrition, the situation is much worse. And many men take the massage with hostility, considering it a shameful manipulation. As a result, the treatment prescribed by the doctor becomes ineffective due to non-compliance with all the conditions of therapy, and the chronic process smoothly flows into impotence and other health problems.
It is important to remember that chronic prostatitis requires more in-depth care than acute prostatitis. The course of therapy is multicomponent; for a specialist with many years of experience and with the development of modern medicine, disease is not a problem.
In the exacerbation phase, the following methods are used:
- Antibiotic therapy.The choice of drug determines the result of the culture (sterility) or is based on the assumption of the cause of the disease. For severe fever and pain, medications are given through a vein. Important: the entire course must be completed until the last day, even if the patient's condition has improved the next day.
- Alpha blockers.Medications are needed to relieve symptoms by relaxing the bladder neck and muscle fibers where the prostate gland is adjacent to the bladder.
- NSAIDs and pain relievers- Helps to treat chronic prostatitis and has an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Rectal massage (direct).The recommended course is 10 to 12 procedures, professionally performed, help relieve symptoms and speed recovery.
These are the main methods that are always used; It is also recommended to additionally perform physical therapy by electrical stimulation, laser therapy, electrophoresis.
What will happen if you don't treat it?
If the treatment of prostatitis is constantly ignored, then in severely neglected cases it will cause a lot of problems that will completely ruin a man's life:
- Prostate abscess.
- Vesiculitis (inflammation of the seminal vesicles).
- Cysts, stones in the prostate.
- Sclerosis of the prostate.
- Impotence, infertility.
Each of these pathologies requires special attention and the treatment period will be much longer than with chronic prostatitis. In addition to physical ailment, men develop psycho-emotional instability, become irritable, sullen, depressed.
The Big Picture of Therapy
Currently, the treatment regimen for prostatitis includes the following methods and techniques:
- Effective treatment aimed at eliminating the infectious factor (drugs).
- The course of the restoration of blood microcirculation in the small pelvis and prostate.
- Increasing the immune status of the body.
- Antispasmodic drugs.
- Analgesics and anti-inflammatories.
- Fortifying drugs and vitamin therapy.
- Local pain relievers.
- Physiotherapy and hormone therapy.
- Massage and taking tranquilizers (sedatives).
- General methods (normalization of sleep, nutrition and rest).
- Spa treatment.
It should be emphasized that although the advertised course of therapy is quite comprehensive, on a purely individual basis, the doctor may recommend the patient to use additional methods, including the use of folk remedies (herbal medicine). In addition, men whose lifestyle is "quite slow" or associated with a prolonged stay in an uncomfortable position that causes stagnation of blood in the pelvis and prostate (office workers, security guards, drivers), it is recommended to perform agymnastics course. to eliminate hypodynamics. This is an effective way to speed recovery from chronic prostatitis and prevent impotence.
Individually, the doctor may recommend the use of folk remedies - herbal medicine.
Treatment of chronic prostatitis is not complete without medication. The appointment should always be made by a doctor, the period of admission is strictly individual and should not be interrupted before the end of the course of therapy. Consider the drugs used.
To restore blood circulation.
To restore good blood circulation in the prostate gland, drugs are prescribed to restore blood circulation. Ignoring these funds will not allow to completely eliminate and in the shortest possible time the inflammatory process.
In the chronic form of the disease, decreased immunity is a common thing, therefore, one of the main tasks when choosing a course of therapy is to increase the body's resistance to any disease. Drugs are prescribed according to the immunogram: interferons, thymus preparations, synthetic immunomodulators.
These include drugs from various groups:
- Third generation cephalosporins.
It should be remembered that antibiotic treatment for chronic prostatitis is long, the course of administration is 4-8 weeks.
It is prescribed to normalize the work of smooth muscles in the urinary tract. The course of treatment is 4-8 weeks.
Any hormonal drug is prescribed only by a doctor out of strict necessity, the funds help to reduce the intensity of the inflammatory process in the gland.
Provides relaxation of striated muscles, relieves pain and discomfort.
They are used only as an additional treatment, but in no case in their place. Phytopreparations help eliminate gland edema, reduce pain syndrome, and place less stress on human organs.
In addition to long-term drug therapy, some methods are prescribed to alleviate the patient's condition and prevent the exacerbation of the disease from returning.
Physiotherapy methods are direct massage, microclysters with medicinal solutions, sitz baths, low intensity laser radiation, electrical stimulation, magnetotherapy, acupuncture.
In particular, massage, so little loved by men due to banal modesty, is indicated for the treatment of chronic prostatitis in almost all cases. Massage allows you to clean the prostate ducts, relieve congestion and inflammation, and normalize the functioning of the sex gland. Massage is done at home or in a medical institution 2-3 times a week.
Indications for the use of surgical methods are acute conditions that pose a threat to the life of a man.
Indications for surgical methods.
However, with the complete ineffectiveness of the conservative treatment performed, surgical intervention is not carried out in all cases. Indications for the use of surgical methods are acute conditions that pose a direct threat to the life of a man:
- Urethral obstruction.With a strong narrowing of the urethra and the cessation of the flow of urine, an urgent operation is indicated. Often phimosis is added to obstruction, then foreskin circumcision is also performed.
- Drainage for the formation of prostate abscesses.A large accumulation of pus in the gland poses a direct threat to the patient's life (sepsis), so the surgeon's task is to quickly extract and drain it.
- Restoration of seminal vesicles.It is necessary when they are severely damaged as a result of inflammation. The operation is performed to improve the function of removing the secretion of the prostate gland.
- Total or partial elimination.It is necessary for severe hardening of tissues.
Very often, men suffering from chronic prostatitis make the same mistake: they use a method or drug as treatment, despite the fact that complex therapy is prescribed. There are many arguments, but as a result, the disease is left untreated and manifests itself once with renewed vigor. Therefore, it is important to remember: none of the methods of treatment prescribed by the doctor should be ignored, then the pathology will recede, and the man will be able to live a full life.